Saturday, August 22, 2015

Behind the scenes of creating a scenario

 (Its been almost 2 years since the last update. Sufficed to say I have not been doing any wargaming, and Palmerston North is a hotbed of Flames of War. I would play but can't remember 175 special rules at once. Oh and I hate painting 15mm figures. Oh and I refuse to get out of bed unless theres a brigade to command. One must have standards.)

So, how does one come up with a historical spearhead scenario. Its quite way off the standard "lets knock up a game with the scenario generator". It requires time and research plus some play testing to check its OK before exposing it to the world. After 5 minutes of this I'm normally bored and off to the next project.

The closing of the Falaise gap has always interested me as a battle. I also had the troops for a British armoured division, and a wide selection of late war Germans. When Luke decided to visit for a week, and we had arranged for wellington gamers Peter Page and Paul Reynolds to come up for a day, I suggested this as a possible scenario.
A day or so of reading later along with Lukes computer and organizing skills, we had a rough outline of the overall scenario. This then gave me the task of trying to make up the two armies from the various spearhead stands I possessed. The allies were easy, with the Guards armoured division (that I had painted up for a large game based on operation Market Garden) providing the troops for the polish armoured division. I could also cover the American infantry battalion. The problems started when we got onto the Germans. Luke has a talent for asking for more stands of a particular sort. I then get cry's of " you don't own enough STUG's" or some such similar rubbish.
Thus the 7th army was populated with Russian soldiers and cavalry Hq stands. However the 3rd FJR division was populated with lead troops that had seen service in the battle for Crete some 13 years previously.
In order to restrict the movement of the allied forces the armoured units were limited to 2 moved under attack orders.
The next step was the terrain making phase. A cheap bit of plywood was purchased for the 8' by 4' table. The base cloth was one I've had for 20 odd years which is of some material which I have not seen since. Its much nicer than polarfleece. The hills were built up with layers of mid green polarfleece coloured with cheap spray paint. This was then stapled to the ply so that it wouldn't be disturbed as we excitedly rushed round the table. The rest of the terrain came out of my big terrain stash (which seems to consist of a few nice bits and a vast collection of the wargamers standby, tatty felt. I really must do some decent town sectors as well).

In a departure from our normal "It'll be fine" we decided to try a test run of the St Lambert-Chambois sector just to check that the balance was roughly right. this indicated several point that needed to be juggled to 'fix'. I also managed to burn through my years alocation of 6's in a single afternoon.

Apart from this, it seemed to work OK. The Canadians in St Lambert held out against an attacking panzer division. The Polish forces in Chambois could force the Germans north and got beaten badly when trying to close the gap. We didn't play test the defense of pt 262 at the other end of the table but figured that this would work OK. The only changes that we made were that the infantry were to be entrenched. In hindsight we could have done with sightly more area to deploy the attacking panzer divisions.

The rest can be found on Lukes site here. Isn't it annoying how blog posts line up in the reverse order, so thyat you ahve to scan to the bottom to read the first one.


  1. Just been reading Luke's reports. A splendid effort and great day by the sounds of it.


  2. The game sounded very interesting. Hope to read more on this site in future.