Thursday, July 18, 2019

Confirming my bias'

Last weekend I discovered that Panzershrek was on at a school hall just round the corner from my place. For those of you that don't know, Panzershreck is a local wargaming convention that's in its 19th year. The minus is that its not big and tends to be of the Flames of war persuasion. A mitigating factor was that there was going to be an out of town wargaming supplies shop and I was short on some painting supplies. Thus my gaming buddie and I headed along to have a look and at the very least doing a bit of shopping.
On entering I found a Team Yankee tournament in progress. This is ww2 flames of war transported to the mid 1980's. At this point I had started writing a bit of a diatribe pointing out everything I think is wrong with it (and don't get me started on camouflaged M1's and that's the least of my problems with it). However at the end of the day it is only playing with toy soldiers and  when has anyone in this country seen 40 people playing moderns?
Fortunately the trip was not a complete waste of time as there were a couple of guys playing 6mm. It was some sort of company/battalion level game. I haven't played at this level for 25 odd years with the old WRG 1950-1985 set, and as I've always said "Its not worth getting out of bed in the morning unless theres at least a brigade to command".
However the club meets on Tuesday nights and its 2 minutes down the road. Maybe I can bend a few of them to my will.

No comments:

Post a Comment